Partner Assisted Stretching
For an even deeper stretch than the standard static stretch, some martial artists use partner assisted stretches. This is where a partner GENTLY helps to push or pull a partner’s limbs or body in order to maximize a stretch and improve overall flexibility. However, this type of stretch must be done slowly and responsibly in order to avoid potential injuries. Moreover, speak up & tell your partner to stop if the assisted stretch is starting to hurt.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting any stretching or exercise program. For other stretches (i.e. traditional static stretches), please visit the main Stretching section.
Examples of Partner Assisted Stretches
- Partner Assisted Chest Stretch – Extend your arms out to your sides. Have your partner stand behind you and gently pull your arms back behind your body.
- Partner Assisted Standing Hamstring Stretch – Place your leg on shoulder of a crouching partner and then have your partner slowly raise his body.
- Partner Assisted Groin Stretch – Sit on the floor and spread your legs as wide as possible. Have your partner sit facing you and have him place his feet on your ankles. Then have him slowly push your legs even wider.
- Partner Assisted Back Stretch
- Partner Assisted Leg Splits – This partner assisted stretch will help improve the height of your roundhouse kicks.
- Partner Assisted Sitting Hamstring Stretch
Instructional Videos for Partner Assisted Stretches