Stork Stance Exercise – Martial Arts Balance Training
This page provides details for the “Stork Stance”. This is an exercise used to improve the balance of martial arts students. This is also an isometric exercise because it works on strengthening areas such as your shoulders, back, core, glutes, etc.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional balance exercises, please visit the main Martial Arts Balance Exercises section.
Instructions for Stork Stance Balance Exercise
- Stand on one leg.
- Bend at the waist and lean forward until your body is parallel with ground.
- Bring your arms out to your sides so they are nearly parallel with your shoulders.
- Raise your non-standing leg backwards until it is parallel with your horizontal upper body.
- Maintain for at least 30 seconds.
- Repeat this balance exercise by standing on your other leg.
Instructional Video for the Stork Stance Balance Exercise