List of Triceps Exercises
This page provides details on a wide range of triceps exercises. Triceps are the muscles running down the back of the arm from the shoulder to the elbow. These muscles are used to help drive a hand & arm forward. In contrast, the biceps muscles run down the front of the arm from the shoulder to the elbow. There are many exercises that focus on a combination of muscles that include the triceps (i.e. traditional push-up) but we have only listed those strength training exercises that provide a heavy emphasis on the triceps muscle.
Triceps muscles are used heavily in punches and grappling techniques. Martial artists work on strengthening their triceps in order to develop more powerful straight punches & jabs. Strong triceps muscles also allow them to push away & turn grappling opponents. Martial artists usually work on strength and endurance in order to throw multiple strikes versus focusing on only building a large triceps muscle. Therefore, they often do multiple repetitions with a medium weight versus only few reps with a maximum weight. Martial artists also focus on strengthening their biceps because it works synergistically with the triceps.
Before any triceps exercise, martial artists should stretch their triceps. All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting any stretching or exercise program. For additional stretches and exercises, please visit the main Strength Training section.
Triceps Exercises – Click on the exercises listed below for video and/or written instructions
- Chair Dips or Bench Dips – This exercise focuses on your triceps.
- Close Grip Bench Press
- Dips or Triceps Dips – This exercise places even more weight on the triceps than a chair or bench dip.
- Dumbbell Lying Triceps Extension or Dumbbell Skull Crusher
- French Press – The french press works your triceps and forearms.
- Medicine Ball Push-Ups – This medicine ball exercise puts more emphasis on your triceps.
- Seated Triceps Extensions
- Standing Triceps Extensions
- Triangle Push-Up or Diamond Push-Up – All push-ups work partially on the triceps but this push-up variation places an even greater emphasis on the triceps.
- Triceps Kickbacks
- Triceps Pushdowns