List of American Martial Arts Styles
This section provides details about major and minor American martial arts styles. It covers martial arts such as American Kenpo, Chun Kuk Do, Jeet Kune Do, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program and many more. While there are many different martial arts practiced in the United States (i.e. Taekwondo, Karate, Kung Fu, Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu), this section focuses on martial arts styles that were created in America.
For the styles of other countries (i.e. Japan, China, Korea and Brazil), please visit the main Martial Arts Styles section.
Wiki – Best Martial Arts Shoes
American Martial Arts – Click on each style for more information
- American Kenpo – American Kenpo is a hybrid martial arts style. It is also known as Kenpo Karate.
- Budokon – Budokon is a hybrid system that combines martial arts training with Yoga.
- Chun Kuk Do – Chun Kuk Do is a Korean and American hybrid system created by Chuck Norris, martial artist and movie star. This martial arts is now known as the “Chuck Norris System”.
- Combat Hapkido – Combat Hapkido is seen as a spin-off of traditional Hapkido. It has a much greater focus on self-defense and grappling than traditional Hapkido.
- Danzan Ryu – An American hybrid form of jujitsu. It is also known as Kodenkan.
- Jailhouse Rock – Jailhouse Rock (JHR) is a martial arts system that was developed in the US prison system.
- Jeet Kune Do – Jeet Kune Do is a martial arts style created by Bruce Lee (martial artist and movie star).
- Kajukenbo – This is an American martial arts style that combines techniques from many different martial arts such as Judo, Karate, Eskrima, etc. It was designed to be effective in real world self-defense situations and street fights.
- Kickboxing – Kickboxing is a martial arts style focused on powerful kicks and punches.
- Lua – Lua is a traditional Hawaiian martial arts that focuses on bone breaking, boxing, wrestling, weapons, etc.
- Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP) – The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program is focused on unarmed combat, knife training, bayonet techniques, etc.
- Special Combat Aggressive Reactionary System (SCARS) – This martial arts program was taught to US Navy Seals in the 1980s and 1990s.
- US Army’s Modern Army Combatives Program – This is the martial arts program taught by the U.S. Army.
Chuck Norris – Creator of Chun Kuk Do or Chuck Norris System
Photo via Wikimedia Commons