List of Martial Arts Punches & Strikes – Instructions & Videos
This section provides instructions and/or information on a wide variety of martial arts punches, hand strikes and arm strikes. It will help you to learn techniques such as the straight punch, knife hand strike, palm strike and spinning back fist. You will also learn about more exotic martial arts strikes such as the Tiger Claw and Crane Beak Strike. These punches and strikes are used for self-defense, sparring, breaking techniques, etc.
Students should only practice these martial arts techniques under the supervision of a trained martial arts instructor. These techniques are often practiced with a training partner and/or against a speed bag, heavy bag, Wavemaster, Body Opponent Bag (BOB), Wing Chun Wooden Striking Dummy, etc.
Wiki – Become a Wiki patron!
Basic Punches & Strikes – Click on each punch or strike for instructions & videos
- Back Fist
- Elbow Strikes – This page reviews a wide variety of elbow strikes.
- Hammer Fist
- Haymaker Punch
- Hook Punch
- Jab Punch – This punch by your lead hand is done for speed (versus the power of a rear hand straight punch).
- Knife Hand Strike – The classic “Karate Chop”.
- Palm Strike or Palm Heel Strike
- Slap – Groin Slap, etc.
- Straight Punch or Cross Punch, Rear Hand Punch, etc. This is standard power punch.
- Uppercut Punch
Advanced Punches and/or Strike Variations – Click on each punch or strike for instructions & videos
- Back Hand Strike or Back Hand Slap, Karate’s Haishu Uchi, etc.
- Bolo Punch
- Crane Beak Strike or Crow’s Beak Strike, Wood Hand Strike, Fingers Together Strike, etc.
- Double Fist Punch – This punch uses both hands to strike the target at the same time.
- Eagle Claw
- Eagle Strike
- Ear Clap or Thunderclap Strike, Thunder Palm Fist, etc.
- Extended Index Knuckle Punch or Ippon Ken, Shark Tooth Punch, Pistol Poke, etc.
- Eye Rake or Eye Scratch
- Eye Strike or Eye Jab
- Finger Pokes or Scissor Finger Strike
- Leopard Punch or Half Fist Punch, Knuckle Edge Punch, Half-Clenched Fist Punch, etc. – Used to target narrow areas.
- Liver Punch
- Mouth of Hand Strike
- One Inch Punch – This punch popularized by Bruce Lee is also known as the Wing Chun One Inch Punch.
- One Knuckle Punch or Extended Middle Knuckle Punch, Nakadaka Ken, etc.
- Overhand Punch
- Rabbit Punch
- Ridge Hand Strike – A reverse knife hand strike.
- Sambo Casting Punch or Casting Punch
- Spear Finger Strike – This is also known as Saber Hand Strike or Reinforced Finger Poke.
- Spear Hand
- Spinning Back Fist
- Superman Punch
- Thumb Strike
- Tiger Claw or Throat Strike
- Vertical Punch or Vertical Fist Punch
- Wing Chun Double Punch
Training Equipment for Punches & Strikes
- Punching Power – How to increase your punching & striking power.
- How To Use Focus Mitts – These are also known as Punch Mitts, Punching Mitts, etc.
- How To Use A Heavy Bag
- How To Use Rebreakable Boards – This training tool is used to practice breaking techniques (i.e. with a knife hand strike).
- How To Use A Speed Bag
- How To Use Thai Pads
- How To Use A Wing Chun Wooden Striking Dummy – This training tool is also known as Wooden Man Post, Mu Ren Zhuang, etc.
- Focus Mitt Drills
- Heavy Bag Drills
- Speed Bag Dills
- For more equipment “how to” instructions and drills, please visit the main Martial Arts Training Equipmentsection.
Punches and Strikes by Martial Arts Style
- Karate Elbow Strikes
- Karate Hand Strikes
- Karate Punches
- Krav Maga Punches & Strikes
- Kung Fu Punches
- Muay Thai Elbow Strikes
- Taekwondo Punches