Best Karate Books – Kata, Techniques, etc.
Here is our list of the best Karate books. These are our favorite books and they cover Karate techniques, kata, self-defense, philosophy, kumite and much more. For other popular martial arts books (i.e. books on Krav Maga or BJJ techniques), please visit the wiki’s section on Martial Arts Books.
At no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you buy products via these links. Your purchase helps keep this wiki free. Thank you for your support! To see what our Karate visitors have been buying, you should visit our section on the Top 10 Karate Books.
Popular & Highly-Rated Karate Books – Our favorites!
- The Art of Hojo Undo: Power Training for Traditional Karate – Learn how traditional Karate experts increased their punching and kicking power with ancient strength training techniques (i.e. gripping jars).
- The Art of Shito Ryu Karate – This book helps Shito-Ryu students with “pictures and illustrations” and detailed instructions focused on a wide variety of Shito-Ryu techniques.
- Best Karate, Vol.3: Kumite 1 – Learn Karate sparring techniques.
- Black Belt Karate: The Intensive Course – This highly-regarded instructional book looks at Shotokan techniques used in areas such as kihon, kumite and kata.
- Goju Ryu Karate Kyohan – Popular book with detailed instructions & illustrations for Goju-Ryu kata.
- Karate-Do: My Way of Life – This book focused on Gichin Funakoshi, the founder of Shotokan Karate.
- Karate-Do Kyohan: The Master Text
- Karate Fighting Techniques: The Complete Kumite This popular Karate book provides instruction on a wide variety of kumite techniques.
- Mas Oyama’s Complete Karate Course – This book concentrates on Kyokushin techniques.
- Mas Oyama’s Essential Karate – This book focuses on Kyokushin Karate.
- The Shotokan Karate Bible: Beginner to Black Belt – This popular Shotokan book helps students prepare for all of their belt tests.
Karate Books on Bunkai
- Bunkai of the Shotokan Kata
- Bunkai-Jutsu: The Practical Application of Karate Kata
- The Kata and Bunkai of Goju-Ryu Karate: The Essence of the Heishu and Kaishu Kata
- Kata Bunkai: The Secret Karate Techniques
- Adidas Adilux Shoes – Very popular.
- Adidas KICK Shoes Martial Arts Sneaker White with Black Stripes
- Adidas SM II Low Cut Martial Arts Shoes – White with Black Stripes
- Adidas SM II Low Cut Martial Arts Shoes – Black with White Stripes
- Century Lightfoot Martial Art Shoes
- Pine Tree
- ProForce Gladiator Superlight Karate Martial Arts Shoes
- Tiger Claw
- Makiwara Boards – Karate tool used to strengthen your fist and knuckles.
- Karate Kicking Shields
- Karate Sparring Gear
- Karate Uniforms
- Isshinryu Karate Kata
- Isshinryu Weapon Kata: Bo and Sai
- Kyokushin Karate – Full-Contact Karate 2-DVD Set
- Shotokan – Complete Shotokan Karate – full white to black belt series – Highly rated & very popular Shotokan DVD.
- Shotokan Karate: Heian Kata 1-5
- Wado Ryu Karate – Get My Black Belt Wado Ryu Karate 6 x DVD Home Study Course [NTSC DVD]