Bent Leg Raise – Martial Arts Strength Training
This page provides details on how to perform a “Bent Leg Raise”. This martial arts exercise focuses on core strength.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional exercises, please visit the main Strength Training section.
Instructions for Bent Leg Raise
- Lying on your back, place the fingers of both hands underneath the small of your back.
- Raise your feet off of the ground until both the hips and knees flex to 90 degrees.
- Holding your head two or three inches off the ground, contract your abdominal muscles as if preparing for a blow to the stomach.
- Straighten your legs out so your heels are a few inches off the ground. Hold this position (i.e. for 5-10 seconds).
- Then bring your legs back to the 90-degree position in order to rest momentary before repeating the leg straightening portion of the exercise.
Demonstration Video for Bent Leg Raise
- Information from Public Domain Document, Department of the Army FM 7-22, ARMY PHYSICAL READINESS TRAINING, http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/DR_pubs/dr_a/pdf/fm7_22.pdf, Added – 02/18/15