This page provides details for the Butterfly Stretch. This popular stretch is used by martial arts students in order to loosen their groin, inner quad muscles and hips. This will help to improve your overall kicking flexibility (i.e. higher roundhouse kicks) and potentially reduce over-extension injuries (i.e. pulled muscles). Other groin stretches include the Lotus Pose, Lunge Stretch and Seated Straddle Stretch.
All stretches should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional martial arts stretches targeting other areas of the body, please visit the main Stretching section.
Butterfly Stretch Instructions
- In a sitting position, place your feet together
- Grasp your feet/ankles with your hands
- Pull your feet towards your groin
- Drop your knees down to your sides towards the floor
- For a deeper stretch, you can gently push down on your legs with your elbows
Instructional Videos for the Butterfly Stretch