Deadlifts – Martial Arts Strength Training
This page looks at the strength training exercise known as Deadlifts or Dead Lifts. This exercise can improve leg strength and thus is used by some martial artists in order to develop stronger martial arts kicks. This exercise can be done with a barbell or dumbbells.
According to Wikipedia, the “deadlift is a compound movement that works a variety of muscles groups:
- The grip strength (finger flexors) and the lower back (erector spinae) work isometrically to keep the bar held in the hands and to keep the spine from rounding.
- The gluteus maximus and hamstrings work to extend the hip joint.
- The quadriceps work to extend the knee joint.
- The adductor magnus works to stabilize the legs.
- Core musculature remains braced to stabilize the spine”.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For more exercises, please visit the main Martial Arts Strength Training page.
Deadlift Instructional Videos
- Wikipedia, Deadlift, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlift