List of Hip Stretches
Here are a variety of hip and hip flexor stretches used by martial arts students. These sections focus on hip stretches that can help martial arts students to achieve higher kicks, especially higher roundhouse kicks. These stretches are also helpful in reducing the chance of a potential hip strain.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional martial arts stretches targeting other areas of the body, please visit the main Martial Arts Stretches section.
Hip Stretches – Written and/or Video Instructions
- Butterfly Stretch – Targets groin, hips, etc.
- Cross Body Leg Swings
- Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch
- Lateral Leg Swings
- Leg Swings
- Lotus Pose
- Lunge Stretch
- Pigeon Pose
- Seated Straddle Stretch – Also known as Seated V-Stretch or Straddle Stretch. This stretch targets the inner thigh, hips and groin.
- Seated Side Saddle Stretch – The seated side straddle stretch targets the inner thigh, hips and groin.
- Seated Torso Stretch – Targets lower back, IT band, hips, obliques, etc. Also known as Seated Pretzel Stretch, Seated IT Band Stretch, etc.
- Standing Hip Adductor Stretch or Side Lunge Stretch
- Standing Hip Circles
- Standing IT Band Stretch – Iliotibial (IT) band stretch for hips, outer thighs, knees, etc.
- Toy Soldier Stretch
- Triangle Pose
- Wall Splits
Hip Flexor Stretches