Ickey Shuffle – Martial Arts Agility Drill
This page provides details for the agility drill known as the Ickey Shuffle. This drill uses an agility ladder in order to improve a martial arts student’s agility, footwork, speed, etc.
The ability to move laterally and diagonally is useful in martial arts sparring in order to avoid an opponent’s attack and position yourself for an effective counterattack. However, if you can not do it with speed, you will find the counterattack “opening” will have closed before you could launch your strike.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For more agility drills, please visit the Agility Ladder Drills page or the main Martial Arts Agility section (for cone drills, dot drills, etc.).
Instructions for Technique
- For the basic Ickey Shuffle ladder drill, you will step in, step out and step up.
- Start with both feet outside the ladder on the right side of the ladder
- With your left foot, step into the first square of the ladder
- Move your right foot into the first square
- Move your left foot to the left outside of the square
- Move your right foot up and into the second square of the ladder
- Move your left foot into the second square
- Move your right foot to the right outside of the square
- Repeat up the ladder
- Try going faster each time you do this drill
Ickey Shuffle – Agility Ladder Drill