Karate Stretches & Warm-Up Exercises
This page provides details for Karate stretching and warm-up routines. Select useful elements from these instructional sections and add them to your warm-up and stretching routines. See the videos below for variety of different Karate stretches & warm-up routines.
Martial arts instructors use warm-up routines in order to loosen muscles and boost heart rates. This helps to prepare martial arts students for the more vigorous martial arts training that follows the warm-up session and hopefully reduces potential injuries that might come from tight muscles and tendons. Most instructors suggest stretching before and after class in order to improve your flexibility. Martial arts students should warm-up and stretch all areas of the body that will be used during training. Moreover, they should give extra attention to problem areas (i.e. hamstrings).
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For individual stretches and flexibility exercises, please visit the main Martial Arts Warm-Up Exercises, Stretching and Yoga for Martial Arts sections.
Stretches by Target Area
- Achilles Stretches – Achilles stretches such as the heel drop stretch, towel foot stretch, etc.
- Ankle Stretches
- Back Stretches
- Biceps Stretches
- Calf Stretches – Calf stretches such as runner’s calf stretch, soleus stretch, etc.
- Chest Stretches
- Dynamic Stretches – List of a wide range of dynamic stretches with instructions & videos.
- Forearm Stretches
- Glute Stretches
- Groin Stretches – Groin stretches such as the butterfly stretch, lunge stretch, etc.
- Hamstring Stretches – Hamstring stretches such as the toy soldier stretch, modified hurdler stretch, etc.
- Hip Stretches
- Iliotibial Stretches – Side of leg and knees.
- Neck Stretches
- Partner Assisted Stretching
- Plantar Fasciitis Stretches – Bottom of foot stretches
- Quadricep Stretches – Quad stretches such as the standing quad stretch, prone quad stretch, etc.
- Shin Splint Stretches
- Shoulder Stretches
- Side Stretches – Oblique stretches
- Triceps Stretches
- Wrist Stretches – Wrist stretches such as the kneeling wrist stretch, wrist circles, etc.
Videos of Karate Stretching & Warm-Up Routines