Kendo Kata 2 (Nihon-me) – Video & Written Instructions
This page provides details for Kendo kata 2 (Nihon-me). We have provided video and/or written instructions to help you master this kata. For additional kata instruction, please visit the main Kendo Katas section.
Written Instructions for Kendo Kata 2 – Nihon-me
- The Uchidachi and Shidachi assume chudan position.
- Remaining in the chudan position, both take three big steps forward, beginning on their right foot.
- Seeing a chance to act, the Uchidachi delivers a cut to the right kote of the Shidachi.
- The Shidachi lowers the tip of his sword and, beginning on the left foot, steps to the left diagonal rear. This step must be executed in a circular motion. The Shidachi evades the sword of the Uchidachi.
- Suddenly swinging his sword, the Shidachi advances on his right foot and delivers a cut to the right kote of the Uchidachi.
- Both assume the chudan position, the Uchidachi from the left, the Shidachi from the right foot, confidently maintaining zanshin.
- Breaking their position, both beginning on their left foot take five small teps to the rear and once again assume the chudan position.
Youtube Video of Kendo Kata 2
- Written kata instruction (1-4) courtesy of Norwalk Kendo Dojo, http://www.eanet.com/norwalk/, Added – 01/29/14
- All Japan Kendo Federation, http://www.kendo-fik.org/english-page/english-top-page.html, Added – 01/29/14