This page will teach you how to do Knee Push-Ups. This easy exercise is used by athletes who have been hurt or beginners who haven’t built up enough upper body strength to do a traditional push-up. For more advanced push-ups, please visit the section on push-up variations.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional upper body exercises, please visit the main Martial Arts Strength Training section.
Instructions for a Knee Push-Up
- Get face down on the ground.
- Put your hands about a shoulder width apart.
- Keep your feet together.
- Your knees should touch the ground (versus only your feet in a traditional push-up).
- Body should be stiff.
- Push up with your hands until your arms are straight.
- Bend your elbows and lower yourself until your chest nears the ground with elbows at a 90 degree angle. Do not let your chest hit the ground.
- To work more on your chest muscles, you should move your hands further apart.
- To work more on your triceps, you should move them closer together.
Instructional Video for Knee Push-Ups