Kneeling Rear Leg Raise – Martial Arts Strength Training
This page looks at the strength training exercise known as a Kneeling Rear Leg Raise. This is a martial arts exercise used to strengthen and stretch glutes and hamstrings. These muscles and tendons are used for rear kicks such as the back kick.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For more exercises, please visit the main Strength Training section.
Instructions for Technique
- A person will get on their hands (or forearms) and knees.
- They will lift one leg off the ground to the rear.
- They will straighten out the leg and lift it as high as they (comfortably) can.
- They will either hold the leg high for a set period of time (i.e. 30 seconds) or raise & lower the leg for a certain number of reps.
- Repeat exercise with the other leg.
Instructional Video for the Kneeling Rear Leg Raise