Lateral Leg Swings – Dynamic Stretch
This page provides details for the dynamic stretch known as Lateral Leg Swings (or Side Leg Swings). This stretch is used by martial arts students in order to stretch their hips and achieve higher “lateral” kicks (i.e. roundhouse kicks). This is a lateral (sideways) version of the forward leg swing stretch
All stretches should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional stretches and exercises, please visit the main Martial Arts Stretches or Physical Fitness sections.
Written Instructions for Stretch
- You will stand on one leg.
- You will swing the other leg laterally.
- The swings should start low and gradually move higher.
- You can hold onto a chair or wall if you need help with balance during this stretch.
- Repeat with your other leg after doing 10-20 swings with your first leg.
- Stop if it hurts. This is not a ballistic stretch and should be done carefully.
Dynamic Stretches – Lateral Leg Swings