Medicine Ball Stomach Conditioning – Boxing Drill
This page examines a traditional stomach conditioning drill used in martial arts such as Boxing. In this drill, a medicine ball is thrown against or dropped onto a partner’s stomach. This medicine ball routine is used to strengthen and condition a boxer’s stomach muscles in order to better withstand an opponent’s punches.
It is considered an “old school” martial arts conditioning exercise and is used in conjunction with standard core exercises such as crunches and planks and/or other medicine ball exercises such as medicine ball sit-up throws.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For other core exercises, please visit Black Belt Wiki’s main Strength Training section.
Instructions for Technique
- A boxer will lie on the ground with his back on the floor.
- He will tense his stomach muscles.
- A partner will drop a medicine ball on his stomach.
- The martial artist on the floor then throws the medicine ball back to his partner.
- Most boxers and martial artists start slowly and with low weight medicine balls when first learning this technique.
Boxing Medicine Ball Stomach Conditioning Drills