Partner Assisted Leg Splits
This page provides details on a partner assisted leg splits. This type of stretch is used in martial arts training programs for wider side splits and to help improve the height of lateral kicks (i.e. a roundhouse kick).
Partner assisted stretches provided a deeper stretch than the standard static stretch. In this type of stretch, a partner GENTLY helps to push or pull a partner’s limbs or body in order to maximize a stretch and improve overall flexibility. However, this type of stretch must be done slowly and responsibly in order to avoid potential injuries. Moreover, speak up & tell your partner to stop if the assisted stretch is starting to hurt.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional stretches, please visit the main Physical Fitness section.
Instructions for a Partner Assisted Leg Splits
- According to the Combatives – FM 3-25, ” Sit on ground facing buddy with legs extended and spread as far as possible. Position feet inside ankles of buddy.
- Interlock hands with buddy and alternate pulling one toward the other, causing the buddy to bend forward over the hips until a stretch is felt
- Hold this position for 20 seconds, then alternate and have him pull you into a stretch. Do sequence two or three times”.
- This stretch must be done carefully and under control since you are putting pressure on your partner’s legs, back and groin.
- Information from Public Domain Document, Combatives – FM 3-25.150 (FM 21-150), http://sill-www.army.mil/428thfa/FM%203-25.150%20(Combatives).pdf, Added – 08/03/15