Scissors Sweep – Grappling Technique
All grappling techniques are potentially dangerous and should only be practiced under the supervision of a trained martial arts instructor. For more grappling techniques, please visit Black Belt Wiki’s main Grappling page.
Written Instructions for a Scissor Sweep from the Guard
- First of all, in order to perform the scissor sweep from the guard, you must first temporarily open your guard and place both feet on the round.
- Second of all, either “monkey grip” the left or the right hand side of your opponent’s neck (a monkey grip is when you firmly grab something with your arm wrapped around it, like a monkey would with a banana, for example). With your other arm, grab your opponent’s corresponding arm, making sure that your hand is placed on the back of their arm, at the same side that your arm is.
- Now, pull your opponent’s arm across your body, in a sort-of cross grip.
- This step is the most important, as it will constitute to the “scissor” part of your sweep. Shrimp in the opposite direction to whichever arm you are using to hold your opponent’s neck.
- Before you perform the sweep, you must make sure that the leg opposite to the one holding your opponent’s neck is digging into them from the side (but not too much at the moment), and the other leg is “folded” and placed across their torso area diagonally. Once this is done, you can then pull your opponent towards you, almost hanging them on your leg, and scissor both of your legs so that your opponent (hopefully) falls towards the side and into your mount.
Instructional Video for a Scissors Sweep from the Guard
- Written instructions provided by MMA Marcus – 5/3/14