List of Shin Splint Stretches & Exercises
This page provides a wide variety of shin splint stretches and exercises. Shin splints involve pain and inflammation along the shinbone and is medically known as medial tibial stress syndrome. Shin splints often occur when a martial artist has intensified his/her training. In order to avoid shin splints, many martial artists use a range of shin stretches and exercises in order to strengthen and relax their foot and leg muscles.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting any stretching or exercise program. For additional information on stretches and flexibility training, please visit the main Martial Arts Stretching section.
Shin Splint Stretches – with video and/or written instructions
- Dynamic Calf Stretch
- Foot on Wall Calf Stretch
- Kneeling Shin Stretch
- Runner’s Calf Stretch – Also known as Sprinter’s Calf Stretch, Push-Up Calf Stretch, etc.
- Seated Shin Stretch
- Soleus Stretch
- Standing Calf Stretch with Wall
- Standing Gastroc Stretch – Also known as Standing Gastrocnemius Stretch, Standing Foot Pull Stretch, etc.
- Standing Shin Stretch
- Towel Foot Stretch
Shin Splint Exercises
Shin Splint Stretches
- Mayo Clinic, Shin Splints, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shin-splints/basics/definition/con-20023428, Added – 05/18/16
- WebMD, Shin Splints, http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints, Added – 05/18/16