Standing Knee Hug
This page provides details for the “Standing Knee Hug”. This is an exercise used to improve the balance of martial arts students. It is also used to stretch hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors and lower back.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional balance exercises, please visit the main Martial Arts Balance Exercises section.
Instructions for Standing Knee Hug
- Stand on one leg with your knee slightly bent.
- Raise your other leg modestly off the ground.
- With your two hands, grab the shin of the leg that is off the ground.
- Pull this leg upwards until your thigh touches your chest/stomach.
- Hold while standing on one leg for 15+ seconds.
- Repeat this balance exercise by standing on your other leg.
- Try doing this exercise with your eyes closed if you want to put even more emphasis on balance training.
Instructional Video for the Standing Knee Hug