Standing Splits – Martial Arts Balance Training
This page provides details for “Standing Splits”. This martial arts balance exercise requires extreme flexibility. All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized.
For additional balance exercises, please visit the main Martial Arts Balance Exercises section.
Instructions for Standing Splits
- Stand on one leg.
- Raise one leg to knee level.
- With one hand, grab your heel.
- Raise foot above your head.
- Some beginners use a wall to hold their raised foot until they can get their body into place.
- You have to be very flexible in order to perform this balance exercise. You should always stretch extensively before attempting this balance exercise.
- This exercise is used in martial arts such as Wushu.
Wushu Video for the Standing Split Exercise
Instructional Video for Standing Splits