Suplex – Grappling Technique
The suplex is a very powerful and effective throw very commonly utilized in Greco Roman and Freestyle wrestling. However, it is not utilized very much in Folkstyle (collegiate, high school) wrestling due to a different scoring system and tighter restrictions on slams (throwing your opponent to the mat).
Please practice this technique only under the supervision of a trained martial arts instructor. It is very easy to injure your training partner with this throw. For other techniques, please visit the main Grappling section.
Instructions for the Suplex
- You will start in the clinch behind your opponent with a tight body lock.
- Then you will “pop” your hips tight to him/her and prepare to throw.
- To start the throw, you will lift your opponent using your hips.
- Make sure to maintain a tight body lock through this process.
- You will then push off your toes and arch your back until your opponents upper back and shoulders hit the mat.
- To finish maintain the lock and roll to a dominant position.
Demonstration Video of the Suplex