This page will teach you how to do a Triangle Push-Up (or Diamond Push-Up). This push-up is a great exercise to build up your triceps strength. This advanced martial arts exercise will help your punching and grappling power. Other triceps exercises include triangle push-ups, triceps kickbacks, triceps pushdowns, etc.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional exercises and push-up techniques (i.e. Clapping Push-Ups), please visit the main Martial Arts Strength Training page.
Amazon – Strength Training Books
Instructions for a Triangle or Diamond Push-up
- Get into a prone push-up position.
- Place your hands together so the tips of your thumbs and forefingers are touching. This will form the “triangle” or “diamond” portion of this exercise.
- Since your arms are close together versus being apart in a regular push-up, you will be concentrating on your triceps versus your chest and shoulders.
- Your balance will be less firm (than a traditional push-up) given the narrow base. Be careful to exercise on a padded non-skid surface.
- Lower yourself towards the ground while keeping your body stiff.
- Push yourself back up to your starting position.
Instructional Videos for a Triangle Push-up