V-Crunches – Martial Arts Strength Exercise
This page looks at the strength training exercise known as V-Crunches. This advanced crunch is a martial arts exercise used in order to build up core strength. This exercise will also improve rotational “torquing” power and thus help martial arts kicking power, punching power and grappling techniques.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For more exercises, please visit the main Martial Arts Strength Training page.
- Assume a standard crunch position on the floor.
- Place your hands on the floor near your hips.
- Raise your chest until it is at almost vertical to the ground.
- At the same time, raise your knees to your chest so they are almost vertical to the ground.
- Then lower your chest and legs back to your starting position.
- A more advanced version is the V-Crunch without hands on the ground (see second video).
Instructional Video for V-Crunches (With Hands On Ground)
Instructional Video for V-Crunches (Without Hands On Ground)