Wall Sit – Martial Arts Strength Training
The wall sit is an isometric exercise used for strength training at many martial arts schools. This exercise helps to strengthen a martial artist’s legs and works on areas as the quadriceps (quads) and calf muscles.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional exercises, please visit the main Strength Training or Physical Fitness sections.
Instructions for Technique
- Place your back against a wall.
- Bend your legs and slide your back down the wall
- Squat until your legs are at a 90 degree angle to the wall. Do not go beyond a 90 degree angle (i.e. your rear should not be near your feet) because this can put excess pressure on your knees.
- Hold for 30+ seconds.
- Slowly raise yourself back to the starting position.
- If you have any type of knee problems, you should not attempt this exercise.
Instructional Videos for the Wall Sit