Wide Grip Push-Ups
This page provide details on Wide Grip Push-Ups or Wide Push-Ups. These push-ups are used in order to put greater emphasis on a person’s chest muscles (versus a traditional push-up). This advanced strength training exercise is used by martial artists in order to improve their punching and grappling power.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional exercises and push-up techniques (i.e. Clapping Push-Ups), please visit the main Strength Training section.
Instructions for Wide Grip Push-Ups
- In a traditional push-up, your hands are a shoulder width apart. With a wide grip push-up, you should place your hands farther apart.
- Be careful not to extend your arms too wide as you can put too much pressure on your shoulders.
- Get into a prone push-up position with your body straight and your hands on the ground more than a shoulder width apart.
- Lower yourself until your chest almost hits the ground.
- Push yourself back up to your starting position.
Instructional Video for Wide Grip Push-Ups