This section provides key Bruce Lee facts. The following is a list of important martial arts techniques and events associated with Bruce Lee.
Bruce Lee Facts
- Bruce Lee is probably the best known martial artist of all time.
- Bruce Lee was born in 1940 in San Francisco. However, he grew up in Hong Kong. In 1959, Bruce Lee moved back to the United States.
- Bruce Lee’s Chinese name was Lee Jun-Fan.
- Famous Bruce Lee martial arts movies
- Bruce Lee learned martial arts in order to defend himself after being attacked by street gangs in Hong Kong.
- When Bruce Lee was a teenager, he learned Wing Chun from Master Yip Man in Hong Kong. He studied Wing Chun with Master Yip Man for 5 years.
- The popular Ip Man movies series was based on Master Yip Man, who was Bruce Lee’s first formal martial arts instructor.
- Bruce Lee was the founder of the martial arts style known as Jeet Kune Do.
- Bruce Lee popularized the famous one inch punch.
- Diet information – Bruce Lee focused on health foods, high-protein drinks, supplements and vitamins. He avoided refined flour and baked goods.
- In 1964, Bruce Lee married Linda Emery. They had two children; Brandon Lee and Shannon Lee.
- In 1970, Bruce Lee severely injured himself. According to BruceLee.com, “Bruce picked up a 125-pound barbell and did a “good morning” exercise severely injuring his back… He was ordered to complete bed rest and told that undoubtedly he would never do gung fu again. For the next six months, Bruce stayed in bed.”
- Bruce Lee resumed making films in 1971.
- Bruce Lee died in 1973. When he died, Bruce Lee was 32 years old.
- Bruce Lee died from a cerebral edema. According to BruceLee.com, Bruce Lee’s cause of death was due to a “hypersensitive reaction… that caused a swelling of the fluid on the brain, resulting in a coma and death”. It is thought that Bruce Lee died from an allergic reaction to a prescription painkiller.
- Bruce Lee’s grave site is located at 1554 15th Avenue East, Seattle, WA, USA. It is a famous martial arts “tourist” destination.
Amazon – Bruce Lee Books
Famous Bruce Lee Quotes
- I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once. I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
- Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is specifically your own.
- Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.
Top 10 Bruce Lee Moments
- BruceLee.com, Bruce Lee Long Bio, https://www.brucelee.com/bruce-lee