Cane – Self-Defense Techniques
This section looks at how some martial arts practice cane self-defense techniques. There are a number of martial arts styles that train with canes such as Hapkido, Bartitsu, etc. Moreover, canes can be used by senior citizens or those with walking issues in self-defense situations.
A cane has multiple advantages as a martial arts weapon due to the use of its tip (for pokes and thrusts) and its long wooden or metal shaft (for strikes, blocks and joint locks). Moreover, a cane also has the unique advantage of its hook which helps with tripping, trapping or choking an attacker.
For other martial arts weapon demonstrations and instructional information, visit the main martial arts weapons section.
Examples of Cane Techniques
- Cane – Basic Strikes And Blocks – This pages focuses on basic cane strikes and blocks.
- Cane – Defense Against Knife Attacks
- Cane – Defense Against A Punch
- Cane – Hooking Techniques – How a cane’s “hook” is used in self-defense situations.
- Cane – Pokes And Thrusts – How to use a cane like a sword versus a club.
Instructional Video – Cane Self-Defense Applications
Cane Self-Defense Training
Image Provided by Wikimedia Commons