ITF Taekwondo L-Stance (or Niumja Sogi)
For more ITF stances (i.e. L-stance or walking stance), please visit the main Taekwondo stances section.
Written Instructions for the ITF Taekwondo L-Stance
- One foot in front of the other foot.
- Length of this stance is one and a half shoulder widths.
- There is almost no “width” to this stance because a student’s heels should be almost in line. The rear heel should only by 2.5 cm to the side of the heel of the front foot when moving towards the target.
- Feet should form a L shape (with one foot facing forward and one facing to the side).
- According to the ITF Switzerland Taekwon-Do Federation, a student should bend “the rear leg until the knee cap forms a vertical line with toes, bending the front leg proportionally”.
- Body weight is split 70% on rear leg and 30% on front leg.
Instructional Videos for ITF Taekwondo Stances