Push-Up – Strength Exercise
This page provides detail on the traditional Push-Up. This strength training exercise is used by martial artists in order to strengthen the muscles in their arms, shoulders and chest. A push-up also benefits a martial artist’s core strength (because a push-up is similar to doing the plank exercise).
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For additional exercises and push-up techniques, please visit Black Belt Wiki’s main Martial Arts Strength Training section.
Instructions for a Traditional Push-Up
- Get face down on the ground.
- Put your hands about a shoulder width apart.
- Keep your feet together.
- Body should be stiff.
- Push up with your hands until your arms are straight.
- Bend your elbows and lower yourself until your chest nears the ground with elbows at a 90 degree angle. Do not let your chest hit the ground.
- To work more on your chest muscles, you should move your hands further apart.
- To work more on your triceps, you should move them closer together.
Instructional Videos on Push-Ups