Wado-Ryu Stance – Neko Ashi Dachi (Cat Stance)
For instructions on other stances, please visit the main Wado-Ryu Stances section.
This is very similarly in Wado Ryu and Shotokan, the weight distribution of 80% on back leg, and 20% on the front leg. The weight distribution is in this way so that you still have full movement of your front leg, so this can be twisted to deflect kicks to your legs and groin area.
- The stance itself has both legs bent
- The back leg is on a 45 degree angle
- The front foot is pointed forward
- The front foot is on just the Koshi (ball of foot)
- The back leg ankle, hip and shoulder should be in a straight line, with the knee bent to be able bob up and down freely
With the front leg, you should have movement through the hip and knee and keeping the foot in the same position. With the movement this gives you have the ability to parry with your leg, against kicks to the groin area and leg.
Instructional Video for Wado-Ryu Stance – Neko Ashi Dachi