Wushu Forms (Wushu Taolu)
This section looks at Wushu taolu (also known as Wushu forms). It provides video instructions for various unarmed and weapon-based Wushu taolu.
According to the International Wushu Federation, “Wushu taolu is a set of connecting stylized movements choreographed according to certain laws, embodying the philosophical connotation of attack and defense.”
The taolu listed below are the compulsory routines for international Wushu competitions. According to Kung-Fu Wushu Western Australia, “International wushu competition is categorized by junior (18 and under) and senior (18 and over) level championships. In junior level events, the taolu routines are “compulsory” whereas each athlete performs identical movements and sequences that have been developed by the technical committee of the IWuF. Senior level events are competed using optional or “self choreographed” routines that can highlight the strengths of the individual athlete”.
Many Wushu schools have different or additional taolu so please check with your instructor to see what is required for your belt tests.
Wushu Taolu (Forms)
- Changquan – Unarmed Taolu or Form (Long-Range Boxing)
- Nanquan – Unarmed Taolu (Southern-Style Boxing)
- Taijiquan – Unarmed Taolu (Taiji Boxing)
- Gunshu – Staff Taolu
- Qiangshu – Spear Taolu
- Nangun – Southern-Style Staff Taolu
- Daoshu – Sword Taolu (Broadsword)
- Jianshu – Sword Taolu (Straight Sword)
- Taijijian – Sword Taolu (Taiji Sword or Straight Two-Edged Sword)
- Nandao – Sword Taolu (Southern Broadsword)
In order to excel at Wushu taolu, you will need will need to master the following taolu techniques. These pages also show what judges are looking for when examining these taolu elements (i.e. your stance).
- Taolu Balance Techniques
- Taolu Hand Techniques
- Taolu Jumping Techniques
- Taolu Leg Techniques
- Taolu Sword Techniques
- Wushu Taolu Stances – Proper Stances for Taolu
- International Wushu Federation, Wushu Taolu, http://www.iwuf.org/sport_03.asp, Added – 7/17/13
- Kung-Fu Wushu Western Australia, Wushu Taolu, http://kungfuwushuwa.org.au/v1/disciplines/wushu-taolu/, Added – 7/17/13