Improve Martial Arts Kicking Power
This section looks at how to improve a martial artist’s kicking power. A powerful kick does not depend on just strong legs. Therefore, to maximize your kicking power, you must work on combining the elements listed below. You should also visit our section focused on improving your Punching Power.
All stretches and exercises should be supervised by a trained instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. If you have had an injury or are in pain, please see a doctor before starting any stretching or exercise program.
Proper Kicking Technique
- Work with a trained martial arts instructor in order to learn how to hit a target with the proper technique every time. You need to learn how to correctly throw a specific kick (i.e. correct foot position, correct stance, etc.).
- Practice with a kicking bag, kicking shield, kicking paddle, Thai pads, etc. in order to sharpen your skills and work on a technique’s accuracy, speed and power.
- You need to utilize lower body strength training in order to improve your leg strength and speed. Your training routine should include leg exercises such as lunges, squats, leg extensions, leg curls, etc.
- A martial artist will generate additional power by pivoting his/her body towards the target. This will add weight and momentum to the kick.
- To increase your rotational power, you must improve your core strength. Your training routine should include core exercises such as seated Russian twists, medicine ball wood chops, etc.
- Kicking techniques that include a spin (i.e. spinning hook kick) can be very powerful.
Move Aggressively Towards The Target
- Drive explosively towards your opponent. Plyometrics training will improve this element of kicking power as well as your kicking strength. FYI – Plyometrics helps train martial artists to “explode” from a static position (think of a horse exploding out of the gate) and quickly strike an opponent.
- The speed behind your move towards the target will add weight and momentum to the kick.
- Kicking power is magnified by hitting a critical spot (i.e. vital points) versus a glancing blow.
Video on 3 Exercises To Increase Your Kicking Power