Spinning Hook Kick – Martial Arts
This page provides instructions on how to do a spinning hook kick. This martial arts kick is also known as a spinning whip kick, reverse hook kick, etc. This spinning hook kick is very powerful because it combines the momentum of a spin with the additional “snap” (thrust) of a hook kick in order to strike a target.
All martial arts techniques should only be practiced under the supervision of a trained martial arts instructor in order to prevent injuries and to ensure the proper technique is utilized. For instructions focused on different martial arts kicks (i.e. axe kick), please visit Black Belt Wiki’s main Martial Arts Kicks section.
Wiki – Best Martial Arts Books
Written Instructions – How To Do A Martial Arts Spinning Hook Kick, Spinning Heel Kick, etc.
- Start in your kicking stance. You will use your rear leg in this kick. To master this kick, you should already know how to perform a basic hook kick.
- If you are in a right kicking stance, turn your body to the right until you are facing directly away from your target. During this movement, you should pivot on your left foot.
- Continue turning to the right and look over your right shoulder at your target – you need to see what you are hitting.
- Easy method – Sweep your leg back in a big arc (your knee will be raised up & out as you kick). Easier to gain momentum but also easier for opponent to see & counter.
- More difficult method – Thrust your kick backwards like a back kick. Harder to gain the circular momentum but it is a faster and more deceptive kick.
- Snap the kick as you approach the side of the target (i.e. head). This is the hook part of the kick.
- Hit the target with the back of your heel (lots of bone – so this is a very powerful hick) or with the sole of your foot. Do not hit with the side of your foot.
- Sweep through the target and bring your right leg back to your original starting position after you have completed your kick. Be ready to follow up with your next attack or to counter your opponent’s attack.
Instructional Video for a Spinning Hook Kick
Instructional Video for a Reverse Hook Kick
Instructional Video for a Spinning Heel Kick