Best Martial Arts Movies for Kids
Here is a list of the best martial arts movies for kids. This list contains family-friendly martial arts films seen as popular classics and/or highly rated by critics. If you are looking for adult martial arts movies (i.e. Enter the Dragon or Seven Samurai), please visit the main Martial Arts Movies section.
Most Popular or Highly Rated Martial Arts Movies for Kids (Not in Rank Order)
- The Forbidden Kingdom – The movie is focused on an American teen who is transported back in time to ancient China. He learns Kung Fu in order to defeat an evil warlord. This film stars Jackie Chan and Jet Li.
- The Karate Kid (with Ralph Macchio) – Bullied kid learns martial arts to defend himself but also learns the value of training, friendship and honor.
- The Karate Kid Part 2 (with Ralph Macchio) – In this movie, Daniel-san and Mr. Miyagi travel to Japan.
- The Karate Kid (2010) – This movie is a remake of the original Karate Kid. It stars Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan. However, in this remake, the movie is centered in China versus California.
- Kung Fu Panda – “Big fat” panda learns the value of hardwork and becomes the Dragon Warrior.
- Kung Fu Panda 2 – Po must defeat an evil peacock armed with a cannon.
- Kung Fu Panda 3 – Po must train a panda village in order to defeat an evil opponent.
- Shaolin Soccer – Fun movie that combines Kung Fu and soccer.
Other Noteworthy Martial Arts Movies for Kids & Families
- The Last Airbender – Movie based on a popular TV cartoon.
- Beverly Hills Ninja – This is a 1997 martial arts comedy starring Chris Farley.
- The Karate Dog – This movie involves a dog who tracks down his owner’s killer. Of course, the dog can talk and knows martial arts!
- The Next Karate Kid – This 1994 martial arts movie stars Pat Morita and Hilary Swank. A young woman becomes “the next Karate kid”. FYI – Ralph Macchio, the original Karate kid, is not in this film.
- Sidekicks – A kid-friendly martial arts movie starring Chuck Norris. In this 1992 movie, the young star (Jonathan Brandis) has daydreams about being Chuck Norris’ sidekick.
- Surf Ninjas – This is a 1993 martial arts comedy starring Rob Schneider and Leslie Nielsen.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – A 1990 martial arts movie focused on 4 mutated turtles.
The Karate Kid